Colorado is full of airports for commercial and non-commercial use. This article will discuss the top 5 most used airports in the state of Colorado.
- Denver International Airport (DEN): As the largest and busiest airport in Colorado, DIA is quite an airport. By actual land size of 53 square miles, DIA is the largest airport in the United States and the third largest airport in the world. King Fahd International Airport in Saudi Arabia is the largest airport in the world and Montréal-Mirabel International Airport in Montréal, Canada is the second largest.
- Colorado Springs Airport (COS): The airport in the city of Colorado Springs is the second busiest airport in Colorado. This airport shares space with the Peterson Air Force Base along the north side of runway 12/30. Founded in 1927, the Colorado Springs Airport has gradually added new terminals to handle its increasing traffic over the years. In 1994, a new 280,000,000 square foot and 17-gate terminal was built.
- Aspen-Pitkin County Airport (ASE): This third busiest airport in Colorado is located near Aspen in Pitkin County, Colorado. The terminal is 44,000 square feet and contains a single floor. ASE opened in 1976 and has been undergoing a study for terminal improvements since the fall of 2009.
- Eagle Country Regional Airport (EGE): This airport is the fourth busiest in Colorado and covers 632 acres with a single runway. During the winter ski season, EGE is the second busiest airport in Colorado. The History Channel rated Eagle County Regional Airport eighth in the country on its list of Most Extreme Airports. The altitude, weather visibility issues, mountainous terrain that affects landing and departure techniques are factors that contributed to EGE’s high rating on the Most Extreme Airports list.
- Grand Junction Regional Airport (GJT): GJT is the fifth busiest airport in Colorado and located near Grand Junction in Mesa County. It is the largest airport in Western Colorado. Grand Junction Regional Airport is currently undergoing $20 million in renovations that includes new signage, a play area for kids outside the security checkpoint, a new runway, and a new Subway Café. It covers an area of 2,357 acres.
So there you have it – the 5 busiest airports in the state of Colorado. DIA is not the only option in Colorado when it comes to airports, but it is definitely the most convenient and popular.