Opera Colorado is an opera company in Denver, Colorado which first opened in 1983. The goal of Opera Colorado is to enrich the quality of life of citizens by presenting opera performances and by providing educational programs for the community.
The operas is currently selling tickets for its 2011 and 2012 season. Performances in 2011 include La Boheme, Rusalka, and Cinderella. To learn more about each show, go online to http://www.operacolorado.org/operas/.
You can order tickets from ticketmaster or by calling the Opera at 303-78-0371. Performances in 2012 include The Marriage of Figaro, Florencia en el Amazonas, or II Trovatore.
Educational classes and events are also offered by the Opera Colorado to the public which will allow them to learn about the opera as well as to meet new artists. More information on classes and events can be found on the website.
Opera Colorado offers a wide variety of educational programs which allow school aged children to experience the wonders of the opera. Fees for each program vary. Call for more information or check out the website.
- Opera On Tour programs allow children to experience the opera at their school. Currently the program offers productions of Romeo and Juliet or Hansel and Gretel.
- The Opera Shorts program allows students to experience the wonders of the opera in 30 minutes or less. Opera shorts feature Colorado young artists and focus on the basics of opera.
- In the Arias and Ensembles program, young performers sing highlights from operas and musical theatre productions.
- School workshop programs offer various topics including vocals, acting, combat scene workshops, costumes, and poetry just to mention a few.
- Generation OC is a program which allows students to go behind the scenes to find out what goes on when an opera is produced.
- Opera in A Trunk program is just that. The opera performs a show and then leaves a trunk full of the props for a time in the class so that students can explore the trunk and learn about the opera.
In addition to the above programs, Opera Colorado offers a young performers program. This program allows 5 young professionals to come to Denver for 7 months in order to learn and perform opera. Participants receive a monthly stipend towards their expenses. For information on auditioning for this program, contact the opera at 303-778-3071.
Information on the Opera Colorado, the performances offered by the company as well as the educational programs can be found online at http://www.operacolorado.org